SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Hand Lettering: Must Haves For Beginners


I should probably start off with a disclaimer, because I'm pretty sure I'm not at all qualified to tell you the down low on hand lettering and all of the awesome pens you need. But I can tell you what I love. So here we go, my tried and true writing utensils/must haves I can't live without.




#1 - Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen

These pens are my go to. I'm not sure you can truly appreciate how amazing these pens are until you have tried your hand at a few other types of soft, large brush pens. But if you're a beginner, save yourself the trouble and just trust me. You'll love them. I buy them here, on Amazon in a duel pack (Hard tip and soft tip). I like to have both tips on hand, both are awesome. But if I have to choose, The hard tip is my favorite...ever! So I've also linked the pack of just hard tips on the right.



              



#2 - Tombow Dual Brush Pen Art Markers

These were my very first introduction to brush pens and hand lettering. I'd seen people write the most beautiful, color blended words and I had to have them. I put the marker to my paper and...I was sorely disappointed. Not because there was anything wrong with the markers, there wasn't, they're fantastic! But these markers take some serious practice. I was still so happy to own them. They made me want to keep learning. Once you play around with them for a while, you too, will fall in love. 



              




#3 - Crayola Super Tips

These are a perfect cheap alternative to brush pens. They have a hard fine tip for your thin upstrokes but they're soft enough that when you apply pressure you get a thick downstroke. Can't beat cheap.   


               


#4 - Pencils and Erasers

When I started lettering I just wanted to jump right in and be a pro with my new fancy pens and markers. I wanted nothing to do with pencils anymore. WRONG IDEA! Keep practicing, practicing, practicing. And there's no better way to practice then with a good old fashion pencil...and lots of big block erasers. 

                              


 ...And I like to keep all my pens/markers in this pencil case. A PINK one of course. :)


#5 - Paper

Always buy more paper then you think you'll need. :) There are SO MANY different kinds of paper out there. I doodle on just about anything I can get my hands on. Good and not so good. But if you want your brush pens to last longer...be kind to them and write on nice smooth paper. Because learning how to hand letter with frayed tips is no fun.  These are both great options!

               


#6 - Hand Lettering Book/ A Good Teacher

There are lots of amazing hand letterers out there that have published really helpful books. They're the perfect way to get started. I found this beautiful little book by Chalk Full Of Love on Amazon.





And the amazingly talented girls over at Hand Lettered Design have a FREE online course (that I'm currently taking) as well as some very helpful beginner guide books.






Now get out there and write something gorgeous! 

Post a Comment